Linen is woven from the fibres of the flax plant and is totally natural, healthy for you and good for the environment.
Linen has many advantages over other textiles:
- we sleep better in linen sheets and linen is virtually lint free and non-static
- linen is thermo-regulating so it is comfortable to use in all seasons
- linen is suitable for allergy sufferers being non-allergenic and anti-bacterial
- studies have suggested that linen brings other health benefits including: improving dermatological and inflammatory conditions, reducing fevers, massaging properties
- linen is friendly to the environment in a number of ways: the growing of the flax plant does not harm the soil; less fertilizers and pesticides are needed to grow flax compared with other crops; flax is a renewable crop with a short growing cycle; no part of the plant is wasted (the left over linseeds, oil, straw and fibre are used in everything from lino and soap to cattlefeed and paper); far less (five to twenty times less) energy and water is used in its production as compared with cotton; linen fabrics are biodegradable and recyclable
- linen is more durable (by at least two times) than cotton
The exclusivity and price of linen stems from the fact that it is difficult and time consuming to produce (flax in itself requires a great deal of attention in its growth). Flax is difficult to weave because of its lack of elasticity, and therefore is more costly to manufacture than cotton. The benefits of linen however, are unmatched and Lindolino believes it is a case of you get what you pay for. You spend a third of your life in bed so you may as well enjoy it!